Sunday, May 15, 2011

A good day

It was 12 degrees C., with a very cold wind here today, but we didn't have rain.  It was cloudy with a few sunny breaks here and there, and the sun warmed it up a bit outside.  It made the temperature in the greenhouse hit 32, so I had to open 2 windows and prop the door ajar so I wouldn't melt, never mind the plants.

Yesterday DH put in and connected the filters and pumps for the pond and waterfall before it started to rain.  All the fish survived the winter and we have around 20 frogs in the pond.  I am trying to train the fish to eat some fish food, but they aren't "biting".  Normally water hyacinths grow quickly and help to cover the surface of the pond to create shade and thereby reduce algae.  Last year they just wouldn't grow and from reading a few articles, I realized that all the fish in the pond were nibbling at the roots, stunting the growth of the plants.  They love to hide in them and I suppose they just graze away in there, all shaded and protected, so that is why I am trying to get them to each fish food, but only just a bit in the morning.  Too much food will produce too much poop which in turn will make the algae grow too fast and create an unsightly mess in the pond. 

Today I had to transplant the tomatoes and delphiniums into bigger pots.  65 Tomato plants!!!!   Yikes!  I have 18 of my favourite, Polish Linguisa.  I only wanted 12, but I thought that some of the seeds didn't germinate so I sowed some more and lo and behold, they all germinated!  
 
Here are some photos of what is growing in the green house.  The second last one is a picture of my tray of lettuces.  I started them for the first time inside in March and we were able to have some in our salads, and now they and the spinach are ready to be planted out as soon as the night temperatures are a bit warmer.  Next to be transplanted are all the cabbages, kale and broccoli along with some annuals that I seeded as well.

Time to grab my book and put my feet up!

Begonias, Stocks and Osteospermum


Tomatoes

More tomatoes

Sweet young lettuce

More veggies, Cannas and assorteds

No comments:

Post a Comment